UK Games Expo and even SPIEL

I’ve been to Grand Con, WashingCon, Portal Con, Origins, UK Games Expo and even SPIEL, but I had never been to Gen Con, so when the opportunity presented itself to go, I was all in! Similar to a bunch of other people, I used the Tabletop Together Tool to plan out all of the games I was interested in even a slightest bit. Out of the 623 games that were listed, I whittled down my list to 73 games of interest. Still, too many games to actually be able to check out, but I was determined to give it my best shot.


For me, conventions are about the games, sure, but they are also about the experiences and catching up with people I’ve connected with over the years and meeting new people/publishers.


Gen Con vs (Essen) SPIEL

Gen Con bills itself as the best 4 days in gaming and being that SPIEL is my normal convention I was a bit hesitant to just take them on their word. I had to see and experience it for myself. With over 60,000 unique attendees 2018 exceeded previous numbers for Gen Con and yeah, there were a lot of people. What I was most curious to see, though, was how different Gen Con and SPIEL were. You’d think that the two biggest board game conventions in the world would be similar, and in some things they are, but in others, they most definitely were not.


Wandering around the exhibit hall the only major difference is that some publishers didn’t have any space for players to actually demo the games they were selling. Sure, this happens at SPIEL too, but not in the same numbers. Another difference is that the norm for demos at Gen Con are partial games whereas SPIEL allows for full game demos which I personally prefer. That being said, leaving the exhibit hall is where you see the biggest difference between the two conventions. Gen Con has so many events and demos that are not in the exhibit hall itself. SPIEL does not. While they may be about the same size, Gen Con excels in events and SPIEL ignores them. SPIEL, however excels in offering players the opportunity to play games that look interesting as you wander by a booth. Both are good, but what made this Gen Con special, for me?

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

The Godfather Part II: An Epic Sequel that Elevates a Cinematic Legacy

In Japan the Dragon Quest games

The Latest Commercial for Final Fantasy 16